Tuesday, May 10, 2016

Two Sides of the Same Darkness

This project is one that's been on my mind for a while ever since we were told to do a project over something in society today. With the recent Kesha case, I decided to do mine over rape. Not only for women but men as well since Men DO face rape from both other men and, yes, even women too. I'm glad that I talked to two amazing art professors for ideas on how to do this, because with their help, this project came out even more amazing than I had originally planned.
The male side has different visual representations of what goes through their psyche after being raped i.e. powerlessness and confusion, or even the literal icon of a pansy.
The female side has of course, the literal scarlet letter and a sense of lost purity and a broken self image.
In the background are the excuses men and women face as a means of justifying rape. However, the excuses are flipped on each gender, with the female facing the male excuses and the male facing the female's. Amongst all of the crushing self imagery and vile words, is a budding sense of hope for a different tomorrow.
I hope you all rally enjoy this piece!  

No comments:

Post a Comment